Search This Blog

Get into the ring! How this works...

This is easy! Each week on Thursday I post my homily idea...my main focus for preaching this coming Sunday. What I am hoping for is a reaction from people in the pews. Does my "focus" connect with your daily life, faith, and experience? Or not? Either affirm the direction I am going in (by giving me an example from your life) or challenge me, ask for clarification! Questions are the best! Reaction rather than reflection is what I'm looking for here. Don't be afraid, get in the ring. Ole!



Monday, December 7, 2009

The Grand Opener

I arrived as pastor of St. Albert the Great on June 15, 2009. On the following weekend I preached at all the masses. As I listened to this homily I can hear how nervous I was. It was a big moment in the life of a new pastor...meeting the folks for the first time "in the ring".

Take a listen:

http://www.archive.org/details/June21Homily2009

1 comment:

gcd.dsid said...

"The Grand Opener" ...I liked it!

What a great start to your ministry at St. Albert...the Great Parish! Congratulations!

I did hear a "tidbit" of nervousness, which I believe was inaudible to your "new" parishioners, and that I may have only picked because you mentioned it and because I have so often heard you preach in the past.

What I did so clearly hear and what I strongly suspect was heard "loudly and clearly" by all who listened to your homily, was the message of hope for those who heed the Word and in faith, take a "newly" look at their lives as disciples of Christ in the world.

The other "loud and clear" message your congregation must have heard was the honesty and sincerity you communicated as their new pastor, of your own deep faith as well as of your humanity ... first, in your gratitude and recognition of Fr. Viall, your ordained associates, the parish membership in general and in those you had thus far met; secondly, in your open and genuine desire to know and listen to them in order to be able to love and serve them in truth and thirdly, in your asking them to work with and help you: asking for their patience as you learn and grow and asking for their generosity in sharaig their thoughts and hopes for the parish.

Indeed, this was a wonderful start.

God bless you and your ministry.

You have my continued thoughts and prayers.