Search This Blog

Get into the ring! How this works...

This is easy! Each week on Thursday I post my homily idea...my main focus for preaching this coming Sunday. What I am hoping for is a reaction from people in the pews. Does my "focus" connect with your daily life, faith, and experience? Or not? Either affirm the direction I am going in (by giving me an example from your life) or challenge me, ask for clarification! Questions are the best! Reaction rather than reflection is what I'm looking for here. Don't be afraid, get in the ring. Ole!



Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mary, Mother of God - Feast Three of Christmas

(preaching at 4pm Vigil and 12:30pm on the day) Happy New Year!
Mary, is celebrated as Mother of God, which was a major accomplishment in the history of our developing church theology. She was always acknowledged as mother of Jesus - but not so as Mother of God. She is also then celebrated today as Mother of the Church (we are the Body of Christ). And on the first day of a new calendar year it is good that we celebrate Mary as the first and perfect disciple. As follower of Jesus, she believed. As obedient believer she conceived. As companion to all the faithful she leads us to heaven. Do you know her? Shouldn't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Given that today as I write this it is the very feast day of Mary, it is part of my prayer to write in honor of her. From my own personal perspective, as a woman, I find great comfort in Mary's companionship and relate to her role as mother, nurturer, and gentle guide. It has been natural for me in my lifetime to "lean on her," seeking her consolation and care in times of trial and depending on her to help strenthen my own relationship with her Son. I think it is one of the beauties of our Catholic faith and our Church life that we hold Mary in high esteem, recognizing her unique role in delivering our Savior.