Search This Blog

Get into the ring! How this works...

This is easy! Each week on Thursday I post my homily idea...my main focus for preaching this coming Sunday. What I am hoping for is a reaction from people in the pews. Does my "focus" connect with your daily life, faith, and experience? Or not? Either affirm the direction I am going in (by giving me an example from your life) or challenge me, ask for clarification! Questions are the best! Reaction rather than reflection is what I'm looking for here. Don't be afraid, get in the ring. Ole!



Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ordinary Time - Week 3

The homily for Ordinary Week 3 is now available at search "Estok".

Mass Schedule for January 23-24

Sunday 1/24 - 9:30am
Sunday 1/24 - 12:30pm

This Sunday's texts pose a real dilemma for me and maybe for you too - what's your mission? Experts have said that everyone ought to have a clear statement of their mission, twelve words or less, that you can recite "at the point of gun." This mission or vision statement would serve us well in our religious lives. Jesus clearly is presented in Luke's gospel as someone with a clear mission. He reads his from Isaiah..."the spirit of the Lord is upon me...".

I think the danger in not having a clear mission is best stated by the spiritual song that goes, "If you don't stand for something, you're liable to fall for anything." Without a rational, spirit-filled, and positive understanding of what we are doing in our lives, especially religiously, we can start wandering.

I also believe that as Catholic Christians, by our incorporation into Christ, we have received a mission. As Jesus was a priest, prophet and shepherd king - so too we are baptised into his mission. Our communion with Jesus is the mission and purpose of our lives. Can we recite that under pressure, when life gets complicated, when we are frightened or angered?

Well - what's your mission? Listen to Jesus.

No comments: