Search This Blog

Get into the ring! How this works...

This is easy! Each week on Thursday I post my homily idea...my main focus for preaching this coming Sunday. What I am hoping for is a reaction from people in the pews. Does my "focus" connect with your daily life, faith, and experience? Or not? Either affirm the direction I am going in (by giving me an example from your life) or challenge me, ask for clarification! Questions are the best! Reaction rather than reflection is what I'm looking for here. Don't be afraid, get in the ring. Ole!



Monday, August 2, 2010

August 1st Homily

August 1st Homily is in the library>>>

1 comment:

JoyFuralle said...

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity!!! Bubbles!!! BUBBLES!!! B U B B L E S ? ! ? ! ? Now I'm wondering how much of a Labrador I am in some of the things I chase or take time with!!! Illusion . . . not real . . . what do I waste my life on, what things and pursuits matter? It's sort of like NOTHING matters but EVERYTHING matters. The Heart matters most, union of the heart with the Lord in all things. That is possible, yes, Father??? Because too many people I know think THAT is illusion and religiosity. Others think that is only for the saints of old.

As I was taking a walk I saw a guy working at edging his lawn . . . and I thought of what a waste of effort that is . . . he was sweating up a storm, dust all over . . . what lasting effect will an edged lawn have . . . BUT if that guy is praying with that work, has his mind & heart fixed on living as beautiful a life as his lawn, it has GREAT worth and value. Yes??? No???

I think everything is the path of holiness, the smallest of gestures done with love, and I don't know that most people know the holiness of the ordinary . . . not how many times we genuflect and bow and ring bells. . . and those are all well and fine… giving/showing the Lord reverence is good . . . but every genuflection should lead us to greater love, every bow is able to make our hearts purer to love God AND OTHERS. We’re so immersed in vanity, “bubbles”, our selves and our egos that it’s easy to miss. There’s a famous quote, “Sin obscures sight.” It’s why we’re not able to see.

Liked the example of your friend who has it all, the things she thought would make her happy ... good husband, nice house, kids, good life . . . and now she has CANCER and finds she is not happy. Her life is no different than before the news, now she finds she wasted so much of her life. Thanks for that example. Gives good perspective.