Search This Blog

Get into the ring! How this works...

This is easy! Each week on Thursday I post my homily idea...my main focus for preaching this coming Sunday. What I am hoping for is a reaction from people in the pews. Does my "focus" connect with your daily life, faith, and experience? Or not? Either affirm the direction I am going in (by giving me an example from your life) or challenge me, ask for clarification! Questions are the best! Reaction rather than reflection is what I'm looking for here. Don't be afraid, get in the ring. Ole!



Friday, November 12, 2010

November 14, 2010 - The Patronal Feast of St. Albert/33rd Sunday of the Year

Last week's homily is in the library ->
The Scriptures for this Sunday are at usccb.org ->
I am preaching at the 4:00pm on Saturday 11/13 and 8:00 and 9:30am on Sunday 11/14

Deconstruction is Life

It appears to me that the Kingdom of God is being born in our midst, being built through our faith, and being raised up out of our human loving - but it will appear as destruction, deconstruction, demolition. So, don't be afraid or surprised.

I realize that in this day of the "prosperity gospel" people of faith are encouraged to expect the best, believe to win, allow God's prosperity to shower upon us. Thus, this insight about calamity and destruction isn't too attractive. I think I like that prosperity thing a little bit better myself.

But, the "birthing" of the Kingdom demands the deconstruction of all that is NOT of the Kingdom. That is the core message of the Christian God, Jesus, and his cross. Our human condition demands deconstruction of all the "structures" of believing, self-assurance, competition, etc if the freedom of the Kingdom of God is to be unleashed. Deconstruction can be seen as tiny as the letting go of the smallest attachment (deconstruction) in favor of taking the hand of God in the moment(building the Kingdom).

The eyes of faith can read the deconstruction as birthing. The eyes of faith can read the losses of life as the deconstruction phase of erecting the Kingdom. The eyes of faith can read the dying and rising. The eyes of faith can see the losing as winning for the sake of the kingdom.

Can you see it? Or has the beauty of the temple still "caught your eye"?

3 comments:

anon 1 said...

When I first began to read this reflection I hated the message – because it was true. And as I continued on, even though the news didn’t get any better, I loved the message – because it was true. The truth hurts – and the truth will set you free. Our lives of faith are filled with paradox. This line in particular really caught my eye – The Kingdom of God is being born in our midst “…but it will appear as destruction, deconstruction, demolition. So, don't be afraid or surprised.” After reading the reflection I began to think of ways I know this line to be true in my own life and the world around me and I began wondering about events of “deconstruction.” The word strikes me as a good one for describing circumstances or actions that may be painful yet clearly are fitting for the glory of God. A book I’m currently reading captured well the cause of our grieving when we experience the death of someone close to us as feeling it as an offense against love – “it takes away from us the opportunity of spending love on another.” That phrase of “spending love on another” implies that in the loving we are “deconstructing,” “emptying,” “giving away.” Yet, we all know that it’s only in the spending that more life and goodness will come, the Kingdom is furthered, even if/when the “spending” hurts.

As my musing went on (who knew one could go so far with one reflection? :-) ) I began thinking of a conversation with a friend who was reflecting on times we are “most human.” She was challenging another who suggested we were “most human” when we were at war with each other – thereby showing our human weakness. This friend countered that she saw it to be when we were most loving with one another – thereby reflecting the holiness we are called to live. I am thinking that in truth that might be defined as when we are “most divine.” After reading the Matador’s reflection I am wondering if we are most human when we are in this “deconstruction.” Particularly when we surrender ourselves to God’s will. I believe that to be the most challenging aspect of our lives in following Jesus – letting go of our desire to control, to possess, to dominate. Of course He is the exemplar in this – always surrendering to the will of His Father. Perhaps one could argue that it was at that point on the cross – when he stated accepting His Father’s will – that he was “most human.” It was the epitome of deconstruction.

Anonymous said...

To anon 1,
I was ready to send a message to the Matador, but when I read yours I decided not to do it. Your message is so beautiful and well stated that I am going to reflect on it instead of sending mine. Thanks you. Gitana.

anon 1 said...

And thank you, Gitana. God bless.