Search This Blog

Get into the ring! How this works...

This is easy! Each week on Thursday I post my homily idea...my main focus for preaching this coming Sunday. What I am hoping for is a reaction from people in the pews. Does my "focus" connect with your daily life, faith, and experience? Or not? Either affirm the direction I am going in (by giving me an example from your life) or challenge me, ask for clarification! Questions are the best! Reaction rather than reflection is what I'm looking for here. Don't be afraid, get in the ring. Ole!



Thursday, January 6, 2011

Baptism of the Lord -January 9

The homily from the Epiphany, Jan 2, is in the library
-The scriptures for the Jan 9 Baptism are at USCCB.org
-I will be preaching at 5:30 Mass on Saturfay evening and 11:00 and 12:30 on Sunday

How shall we do this.

I believe that the radiated hearts of those who have received the message of the manger are challenged now by the Baptism of the Lord to make that message known to others in an "equally personal fashion" as was the baby in swaddling clothes.

The world will never understand or receive the Good News of Jesus Christ unless we each become a humanity like his...humble, vulnerable, cared for and about. You know what I mean?

3 comments:

Faith said...

Yes, Matador, I think I know what you mean. Emmanuel – God with us – is also one of us. He shows us the true way to be human and shows us how weakness is strength. He wins hearts by this humility and vulnerability you describe – by loving others and responding to others’ love for him. He invites them in by “not crying out, not shouting,” but with tenderness and care. That is the way that leads to the Father. This world we live in frequently upholds lives of self interest, but the Baptism of Jesus shows us something different – it shows us that we rise up to unity with one another and with God by living lives of charity, justice, and peace.

Anonymous said...

After reading The Matador comments, the first
though that came to my mind was Mother Theresa of Calcuta, she was empty of everything, but she was FULL OF EVERYTHING.
Her love & charity indeed radiated to all of us. She was in union with her Lord.
A good example for us to follow.
Gitana.

Jim said...

From this gospel and your notes, It seems like we are being called to be humble like Jesus was in his Baptism. We are also being reminded, since this was the beginning of Jesus' public life, to spread his message.