Search This Blog

Get into the ring! How this works...

This is easy! Each week on Thursday I post my homily idea...my main focus for preaching this coming Sunday. What I am hoping for is a reaction from people in the pews. Does my "focus" connect with your daily life, faith, and experience? Or not? Either affirm the direction I am going in (by giving me an example from your life) or challenge me, ask for clarification! Questions are the best! Reaction rather than reflection is what I'm looking for here. Don't be afraid, get in the ring. Ole!



Friday, March 4, 2011

March 6, 2011- 9th Sunday of The Year

Last week's homily is in the library ->
-The scriptures for this Sunday are at USCCB.org->
-I am preaching at the 12:30pm Mass on Sunday only

Shaky Ground

I don't know where you were in 1986 when the earthquake hit Cleveland, but I had the unhappy experience of being at my buddy's apartment near Lake Erie.  It was terrifying.  I know it was nothing like the Haiti or the New Zealand quakes of late -but it was my only experience.

Having the earth under you become unstable is frightening. We could say the same about our life of faith in the church.  Maybe some of you have had an earth-shaking experience within the church as well. That is terrifying too. When the church, the rock of our salvation, the barque of Peter, becomes for us unstable it is terrifying.

This Sundays scriptures encourage us to push through our perceptions of the world and our experience of the church and to rest our faith on the rock who is Jesus.  I didn't say separate from our life in the world or our practice in the church - push through it with faith in Jesus - who never waivers.

As the Lenten season begins, I would like to call us to be rooted in the love of God and centered in the Eucharist....our rock.  Let's make this the Year of the Mass.  As we prepare to implement the new Roman Missal, how could we renew our life resting upon the rock of the Eucharist?  It is our Catholic foundation.

3 comments:

Tom said...

When the world beneath or all around us shakes we instinctively grasp for something we perceive to be an anchor. The world clings to material things yet as Christians as my earth crumbles I not only grab onto the rock that is Christ but look toward Him and not at all the cracks below. This is the difference for me between the world which wonders what will happen and Catholic's who know that no matter the external factors, our Lord and Savior holds us close and carries us into His kingdom. We have the Real Presence and His Holy Word to nourish us during these times and we have knowledge of the truth of the Gospel and not the fleeting comfort of the world. As Charlie Sheen's life crumbles he becomes an icon. When we are faced with adversities grace increases and we draw closer to our Lord and Redeemer.

anon 1 said...

As I read the Scriptures and Matador’s reflection I started humming this refrain – “No storm can shake my inmost calm, while to that rock I’m clinging. Since Love is Lord of heaven and earth, how can I keep from singing?” I have to admit that I am not always able to sing in dark hours – when I am shaken – but I am able to remember the Rock that really is my foundation. I love the idea of the “Year of the Mass” and strengthening our understanding of what the Eucharistic Liturgy really means for us in our lives – recalling how we are formed and reformed over and over each week, being fed and molded by the Love who is Lord. The more we are able to grasp the sheer gift of the Blessed Sacrament, the more convicted and convincing we will become as evangelizers. Our lives will be living testaments that beg the question – how can you NOT go to Mass?

Anonymous said...

When the Earth is shaking around you, all you have is God. God IS Love. And try as you may, even if it is only there for a fleeting moment - you can’t go back and take it out. No matter the situation.

God said He would not abandon us and I think we need to mindfully and heartfully remember to never abandon God, under any circumstances. Strive for that pure heart dependent on God alone.

I have seen many people in many churches across the states. God really has called everybody, each as they are. I love that - the Church is diverse. That is exactly how God called it to be. I think Jesus did have a purpose in each disciple whom He chose, just as they were, different from the next. All chosen in the same Love, for the same reason . . . to be with Him for His purpose. I would very much like to have actually heard some of the conversations between Peter and Matthew. Can you imagine how strong their focus on Jesus had to be. These differences are what I believe held, and continue to hold, the Church together. It is in that true and foundational love for Jesus, that central focus, that creates unity – His Love in action.

One must maintain their responsibility for their own journey. No matter what is happening or where they are in their search of Truth.

I believe that God still calls us each individually, in His time and His purpose. And, once a week (or more) we all gather together. Would it not be sinfully presumptuous to claim to know God’s purpose for the other. It is, indeed, a matter of respect and actively practicing this respect toward the other. No matter what or who you perceive them to be, each at their own place, in their own journey. Each, a Holy Child of God. Takes a lot of Love – Supernatural Love. And, isn’t that what Jesus calls us to do - to be perfect as Our Heavenly Father is perfect. Love one another as He has loved us. He didn’t say it would be easy, but He did send us help.

I’m not perfect and I know God knows this. He also knows my agreements with His church, as well as my disagreements. Admittedly, the Church has had occasion to disappoint me. All the human stuff that happens in His House of Prayer – all that stuff that causes division. Where is the focus? I remind myself all the time that anything that is not Love is a distraction from God. He is the reason I’m there.

It is God alone that still calls me to Mass. By His truly amazing Grace, nothing has been able to keep me away - my desire for Holy Communion grows deeper. I am so grateful for God’s mercy that in all my iniquities, He continues to remind me that it is HIS Church and He, is OUR Father.

. . . for the praise and glory of HIS name,
for our good, and the good of all HIS Church.

This Lent, I am committing to focus my practice of faith (most especially at those earth shaking moments) to “be still and know” - meditating on God’s Supernatural Love and Forgiveness.