Search This Blog

Get into the ring! How this works...

This is easy! Each week on Thursday I post my homily idea...my main focus for preaching this coming Sunday. What I am hoping for is a reaction from people in the pews. Does my "focus" connect with your daily life, faith, and experience? Or not? Either affirm the direction I am going in (by giving me an example from your life) or challenge me, ask for clarification! Questions are the best! Reaction rather than reflection is what I'm looking for here. Don't be afraid, get in the ring. Ole!



Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 8, 2011 - Third Sunday of Easter

-Homily from May 1 is in the library->
-Sunday scriptures are at USCCB.org->
-I am preaching at 5:30 on Saturday and 11:00 and 12:30 Mass on Sunday

Stay with us....

The concept of "remaining" is a fundamental reality at the root of our Catholicism. It speaks to the sacramental relationship that Christ has established in and through his Church. It is not intellectual, but relational.

Most of us Catholics are preoccupied with the "whatness" of the Blessed Sacrament rather than the relationship to the Person of Jesus. Do we think of God's Word and Sacrament as an offer of intimacy or rather some divine fact or data that is to be simply understood and affirmed with the mind?

Pope JPII and Benedict XVI favor one over the other and they cry out with the church...stay with us!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Remaining" brings me some thoughts about relationship.
Relationship is a word that I love and keep me going. It gives me the connection with someone that I can count with.
Can I count with Jesus? Well, with Prayer YES!
Prayer helps me to turn on the switch to the energy in my heart that connects me to that relationship with Jesus that's already there waiting to be activated.
"Remaining" the way I understand, is a life committed to that relationship with Christ, regardless the usual ups and downs that it involves, perseverance is important.
As with any relationship, this relationship with Christ involves certain evolutionary process.... knowing each other, friendliness and finally friendship ( I can go back and forth easily, but "remaining" in this relationship is essential.)
It's peace and joy to have a relationship with Jesus, it requires constant changes in my life, changes that will keep me in the right track remaining close to HIS heart always.
Gitana

Anonymous said...

because receiving the ‘whatness’ is what allows one to dip their finger in the holy water font when they walk in the door to “turn it on” and do the same walking out, “turning it off”.

now, if you start talking about relationship.. (that word or label without sole specific definition) that, which does call… perhaps for some part of one’s self.. some level of intimacy… and, that which also calls for some concept of commitment… to what? hmm, now we’re back to the what.. maybe the what is relationship - that which is living and active – that part of one’s self which is, with or without our conscious awareness, in/with/through Jesus Christ… perhaps it is not something we can walk away from, turn our backs on, or ignore.. maybe it is the Truth.

it is the truth that does have a way to follow one’s life everywhere -

so, since Jesus is the Truth, what is our relationship to Truth… and, can we remain in Truth.

Joyfuralle said...

I'm not understanding what you are saying. Just don't follow. The word "whatness" has me focused on that word (there is no such word!), clueless to your main idea.

And I don't understand what you mean about what the Popes said. They favor what?

Looking forward to hearing the Word in you...

Anonymous said...

Joyfuralle..
Listen to Fr. Ed's homily today May 8. You will understand..
Gitana