Search This Blog

Get into the ring! How this works...

This is easy! Each week on Thursday I post my homily idea...my main focus for preaching this coming Sunday. What I am hoping for is a reaction from people in the pews. Does my "focus" connect with your daily life, faith, and experience? Or not? Either affirm the direction I am going in (by giving me an example from your life) or challenge me, ask for clarification! Questions are the best! Reaction rather than reflection is what I'm looking for here. Don't be afraid, get in the ring. Ole!



Friday, August 12, 2011

August 14, 2011

-last week's audio homily will be emailed to the "list". Get on it if you like
-scriptures for this Sunday are at USCCB.org >
-I am preaching at the 5:30 Sat Mass and the 11am and 12:30pm Masses on Sunday

What Faith!

The caananite woman is a great instrument for revealing (even to Jesus' closest associates: read "us") what the Lord is looking for regarding faith. I see five features of her encounter with Jesus that tell me something about "great faith"!
-she sees as reality is rather than as she is: "Son of David"
-she is courageous about what she sees: "cried out"
-she is tenacious about what she believes:(in the face of negative response)
-she is beautifully humble: (help me!)
-she gets "into" Jesus' way of thinking: (engages in the Kingdom..."even the dogs...")

I could work on all of those, eh? How about you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you explained this yesterday at Lectio Divina, but I still do not understand why Jesus spoke to her so harshly. lr

JoyFuralle said...

Yes, I could grow more in all these points. I love this Mom, what a good Mom won't do for her kids!!!

All the points that you made are marvelous, and I find it telling that even the disciples were not thrilled with this pagan's behavior and manners. In the same way, our culture judges and criticizes the very same points you are holding up.

anon 1 said...

I too identify with the five features the Matador has described as being revealed in the Canaanite woman’s faith – not that I already possess them, but sure would like to! I also understand lr’s comment above and I think that is often called out by people as a challenging part to understand in this Gospel. But one of the things that personally appeals to me in this story is the movement to pity we see in Jesus. He begins by ignoring the woman’s speech – but in the end he is totally taken with her faith. I love seeing that change in his reaction to her because it serves as a reminder to me of the “movement to compassion” we are all called to make and to have for one another; and also that we too should be so “taken” by the sincere expression of another’s faith. This story gives me reassurance/hope that in my times of challenge, weakness, cry for help, Jesus hears my call.

Anonymous said...

All of your comments are very good, but anon1 woke me up!
"Movement to compassion" There is the tendency to believe that we are compassionate people, but only when we feel we "want" to be compassionate, when it is convenient to us to help. Many times we run from the opportunity because we do not want to be bother.. so much to do. ( me included)
What can we do without compassion? Go to confession every week? Faith and compassion, in my oppinion equals love. The love of God for the Canaanite woman and her faith made this piece of Scripture necessary to assimilate.
Gitana