Search This Blog

Get into the ring! How this works...

This is easy! Each week on Thursday I post my homily idea...my main focus for preaching this coming Sunday. What I am hoping for is a reaction from people in the pews. Does my "focus" connect with your daily life, faith, and experience? Or not? Either affirm the direction I am going in (by giving me an example from your life) or challenge me, ask for clarification! Questions are the best! Reaction rather than reflection is what I'm looking for here. Don't be afraid, get in the ring. Ole!



Thursday, July 18, 2013

Homily Video Prep for July 21

-Last Sunday's homily is available by email
-This Sunday's Scriptures can be found at USCCB.org
-I will be celebrating mass this weekend at 9:30am Mass

What's Your Complaint?

And what is the price you're paying for it.  Is it worth it?

Click HERE to view Video Prep for 7/21

5 comments:

Peg said...

I am wondering if Martha's complaining could be viewed another way. Perhaps Martha wants to be close to Jesus but doesn't quite know how. Maybe her 'complaint' is really a cry for recognition, and that recognition itself could be a door or path or an invitation to know Jesus. Sometimes I busy myself with something I'm familiar with to avoid having to interact. Yet at the same time I am listening intently to find a common ground or view so that I too might be included. I suspect that the way Martha and Mary acted was how they acted in general. One was better behind the scenes and the other more at ease in the presence of people. While Mary absorbed Jesus, she also did nothing to help Martha. I find that as I get older, the preparation for guests is not nearly as important as visiting with and making the guests feel well received.

Anonymous said...


i view Mary's behavior as Witness.

anon 1 said...

I like your antidote of “affirming the goodness of the present situation.” I think gratitude is the key to living a healthy life and can put us in touch with joy and peace. I have seen many women – and men – taking on the tasks of Martha, but with the non-complaining spirit of Mary. It makes sense to me that it is that which defines the “better part.”

JoyFuralle said...

Wow! And duh! Just realized that since the Lord is present in every moment complaining overlooks or obliterates the Lord in favor of my negativity or complaining. I put the Light out by my view instead of considering how the Lord views things.

Martha is "burdened with much serving" but had she had the Lord in mind instead of herself she would not have felt the burden.

And yes, very good observation...complaining IS a wet blanket on freedom, joy, peace... have to pay more attention to how much I complain, how much negativity I exude.

Betcha if I would have asked Martha if she needed any help she would have said, no, no, I'm fine"... some people enjoy the feeling of being a martyr in their overwhelmed serving instead of including or working with others.

Anonymous said...

I am Martha and Mary and truly enjoy both roles.
I know Mary had her contemplative, peacefuland joyceful way enjoying God's Presence. Martha was needed too, in her own way she was happy
"doing" what was needed at the moment. Eventually she will become another Mary, she was learning what we all do at the begining of our spiritual journey,she was just a little behind Mary on her journey!
I never consider myself a martyr when I say no to help, I may have my reasons.